A Brief Introduction to CAA
Affiliated to the State Oceanic Administration, Peopleí»s Republic of China, Chinese Arctic and Antarctic Administration (CAA) performs the function of organizing Arctic and Antarctic expeditions and administering the related Arctic and Antarctic affairs on behalf of SOA. The functions of CAA can be divided into the following aspects:
(1) Drawing up the national strategies, polices and plans for Chinese Arctic and Antarctic expedition, and organizing the studies on the major polar issues,
(2) Formulating the laws, regulations, relevant standards and rules concerning polar expeditions and other polar activities, and administering relevant Arctic and Antarctic affairs in accordance with laws and regulations,
(3) Being responsible to organize, coordinate, and supervise the Chinese National Arctic and Antarctic expeditions, and organizing the scientific research activities within the polar area,
(4) Being responsible to organize, coordinate, and supervise the infrastructures and capacity constructions for Chinese National Arctic and Antarctic expeditions,
(5) Organizing and coordinating the manning for Chinese polar expeditions, and administering the Chinese polar expedition winter training base and the representative offices abroad,
(6) Organize and participate the international affairs and organizations in the area of polar research. Cooperate with the overseas national polar programs,
(7) Undertaking the science popularization and promotional work in the area of polar expedition,
(8) Undertaking the other tasks assigned by SOA.
No.1 Fuxingmenwai Ave. Beijing, 100860, China
Structural Establishment of CAA
Chinese Arctic and Antarctic Administration (CAA) was set up in 1981, previously called the Office of the National Antarctic Expedition Committee. CAA is comprised of five divisions which are listed as follows: the General Affairs Division, the Policy and Planning Division, the Operation and Finance Division, the Science Programs Division and the International Cooperation Division. Besides these five divisions, CAA has two representative offices in Chinese Embassies respectively in Chile and Australia, and owns a winter training base in Yabuli, Heilongjiang Province in Northeast China.